Support & Services – Grande Prairie
Northreach provides education to community groups, schools, agency staff, organizations and businesses. Our presentations can be tailored to meet the needs of any group and focus on:
- Viral Hepatitis
- Sexual Health/ STI’s, Contraception
- Harm Reduction
- Safer Needle Pick-Up Training
- Gender and Sexual Diversity
- Street Drugs
- Naloxone and Overdose Awareness
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to book an education session!
Condoms, including external (male), internal (female) and flavored, dental dams, and lube are available at the office during regular business hours, or from agency staff.
Naloxone / Overdose Prevention Program
Self-referred program available to any member of the public, Mon-Fri during office hours, on a walk-in basis. Education will be provided on administration of Naloxone, follow up care, safer drug use to help prevent overdose, signs and symptoms of an opioid overdose. Training can be provided on an individual basis or in a group setting for businesses or community organization. Take home Naloxone kits will be provided free of charge.
The Grande Prairie Needle Distribution Program is accessible in three ways.
Office: Needles, steri-cups, sterile water, citric, ties, filters, alcohol swabs and sharps containers are available during regular business hours.
Online Form: Now offering curbside pickup and delivery of harm reduction supplies. Fill out the form here to start your order.
Pharmacies: Needles and alcohol swabs are available in premade kits supplied by Northreach through the following pharmacies:
- Save On Foods
- Northside Safeway
- Shamrock (Downtown Co-op)
- Northside Co-op Pharmacy
- Mint Pharmacy
- London Drugs
- Shoppers (Cobblestone)
- Pharmasave (Junction Point)
- Sexsmith Rx Drug Mart
- Beaverlodge Rexall
Please call or text 780-876-4277 to report a discarded needle in the Grande Prairie area. When reporting needle debris, please include the following information:
- Date and time, if leaving a message
- Location (street address and physical location such as beside dumpster, for example)
- A callback number in case we are unable to locate the debris.
This phone line is staffed Monday-Friday 8:30am-4:30pm. We will respond to all messages and calls within this time.
Used drug equipment can be disposed of at the Northreach office or in one of our needle disposal units around the city. If you find a needle and feel comfortable disposing of it, please follow our steps to Safer Needle Pick-Up. If you have specific disposal needs please contact the office. For commercial disposal (Tattoo Shops, Acupuncture) please call 1-800-563-2466 to arrange your disposal.
Grande Prairie disposal bin locations:
- Towne Centre Mall, south parking lot
- Beside Salvation Army/Soup Kitchen
- Attached to the Rotary House trash enclosure (West of Rotary House )
- By picnic tables on the east side of Rotary (within fence)
- Saint Lawrence Centre
- Smith Neighborhood Soccer Field
- Detox Entrance Northern Addiction Centre
- Around the corner from Shoppers Drug Mart entrance Prairie Mall
- Empty lot across from The Industry
- Rotary Campground RV Dump Station
- Parking lot at Muskoseepi Park across from the museum
- Beside the garage in Community Village
- Front door of the Northreach office
- Needles can be dropped off at the Supervised Consumption Site 10am-10pm at Rotary House 10101 97a St
- Olio’s Convenience Store
Supervised Consumption Services
Check out our SCS page here
Coordinated Care Campus
The Coordinated Care Campus is a partnership led by the City of Grande Prairie and Northreach Society to address chronic homelessness through supportive housing. The Coordinated Care Campus is not a shelter, drop-in, halfway house, or temporary accommodation. It is a long-term housing solution in which tenants pay subsidized rent. Tenants are provided health, wellness and life skills support they need to succeed in maintaining stabilized housing. It will also offer office and programming space for social service organizations.
On-site 24/7 primary care services along with addiction, trauma and mental health supports are provided. All programming components have a focus on an individual’s journey through a recovery-oriented system of care and will include individual plans that identify steps to attain their highest level of achievable independence.
This facility offers a unique opportunity for the Coordinated Care Campus to conveniently co-locate tenants with service providers, healthcare supports, food, designated inclusive Indigenous and multi-cultural spaces (smudging/prayer/activities/crafts), and recreation all within one site. Additionally, the site is designed to be conducive to social enterprise and employment opportunities.
More information about the Coordinated Care Campus can be found here.
If YOU ARE EXPERIENCING HOMELESSNESS IN GRANDE PRAIRIE
Northreach Society does not have access to emergency housing. Individuals who find themselves in situation where immediate shelter is needed can access one of the shelters in Grande Prairie as appropriate to their needs. The shelters are:
- Sunrise House (Youth Under 18)
- 9309 109 Ave
- Odyssey House (Women & Children Experiencing Domestic Violence)
- 780-538-1332 (Office)
- 780-532-2672 (24hr Crisis Line)
- Wapiti House (18+)
- 10101 97A St
Women’s Health Outreach (WHO)
The Women’s Health Outreach (WHO) Program supports women who are experiencing homelessness, use substances, and/or poverty while they are pregnant and for 9-12 months post-delivery. The program supports women for whom pregnancy is a risk. Through advocacy, education, health promotion, and navigation of healthcare systems, the program supports healthy birth weights, regular healthcare visits, increased access to nutrition, and women feeling connected. Contact email@example.com for questions or referrals.
- Weekly LGBTQ+ youth drop-in program on Monday evenings.
- LGBTQ+ youth support for youth, parents and schools
- Gender and sexual diversity education
- Comprehensive Drug Education and support.
- STI/STBBI education and support
Visit the Facebook page for event information – LGBTQ Youth Grande Prairie.
Testing for HIV, Hepatitis C, Syphilis, Gonorrhea, and Chlamydia is available; please call to confirm availability.
Grande Prairie College and Community Health Centre:
STI and Birth Control Clinic
Thursday evenings from 5pm-7pm